Saturday, July 28, 2012

Touring Wuhan!!



by Steve Reiss (Dalmdad Landscape Photography - http://www.dalmdad.com/ and https://www.facebook.com/Dalmdad.)

Part I of II

April 1, 2012 – Wuhan, China. I am willing to go on the record and admit to the world that I was terrified.  Yeah, Steve Reiss, “confident man of the world”; who was raised on the "rough" tree-lined, hop-scotch ready streets of NYC and experienced with the subways of London, Paris, NYC, Hong Kong, and Taipei.  However, none of those experiences prepared me for those few minutes of terror.

But I am getting ahead of myself. 

***
The first thing Raymond and I did when we got out of the cab at East Lake was eat some barbequed teriyaki mountain lamb, from the Xinjiang province of western China.  In Xinjiang province, the Uyghurs are the largest ethnic group.  Some may recall that back in 2002 there was a controversy as to what to do with Uyghurs kept at Guantanamo Bay.   

The sign below is written both in Mandarin and Uyghur.  BTW, each lamb skewer cost about US$0.31.






Raymond orders for us...

 
Top Line - In Uyghur
Other Lines - Mandarin


   
Made fresh on the spot.
Inexpensive Snack!





























After the lamb...we took pictures of the lake.




Small boats on the largest urban lake in China.














 And we people watched....





 




It was a holiday generally equivalent to a Cherry Blossom Festival












Now, at about 4 PM, it was time leave East Lake to go meet Sandy and her husband for dinner at one of Wuhan’s 5-star hotels (where I created massive confusion by asking for ice).

Can that be as terrifying as I'm hinting?  


You will soon find out...

(Again, thanks to Lisa for help with the translations)

No comments: