Friday, September 28, 2012

Home Cooked Chinese Dinner With Friends...(Part 2 of 4)

by Steve Reiss (Dalmdad Landscape Photography - www.dalmdad.com and https://www.facebook.com/Dalmdad.)

April 1, 2012: Wuhan, China: A Chinese home kitchen is separated from the rest of the apartment by a sliding door, which is usually kept closed.  I only found this out because Sandy said her mother-in-law was making dinner, yet I couldn’t hear any stir-frying, chopping, or other kitchen noises.  Also interesting is that Chinese kitchens do not have ovens.

When dinner was called, I was surprised to see that no rice was on the table.  So, I asked Raymond about that.  Raymond translated to Sandy, who immediately asked me if I wanted rice.  I declined, but I did learn a large bowl of rice is not brought to the table.  Rather, if you want rice, you go to the kitchen and take what you want from the rice steamer, which is always full.  Kind of not what the average American would expect at a Chinese meal.

Sandy and Raymond waiting for me to sit and eat with them...Note the soy milk.




Dinner is served:

Center: Soup with spinach and boiled meatballs
Clockwise from bottom: Tofu, charred chili Peppers, pork with peppers, whole fish, long beans, eggplant, broccoli


Whole Fish




No comments: