Sunday, August 12, 2012

Jews Visiting China Be Aware (not beware)...

by Steve Reiss (Dalmdad Landscape Photography - www.dalmdad.com and https://www.facebook.com/Dalmdad.)

Continuing with the Asian Leg of the "Shock Steve Tour -2012", I was walking around Taipei when I came across these Jew-jaw-cringing art works at two different Buddhist temples.  I knew that pre-Nazi era, swastikas where not associated with anything bad; rather, they were used worldwide and was regarded as a symbol of good luck and success.  Swastikas were even used by Native American cultures in the early eras.

It was the Nazis that evilly twisted the symbol into one of horror and hate. 

However, I never knew just how common swastikas are in Buddhist temples in China and Taiwan.  I do not remember seeing any during my 2008 trip to Asia.

It was pointed out to me that Buddhist swastikas are left facing while Nazi swastikas are right facing.  However, as that is not so obvious to viewers, it is startling for westerners to see swastikas on products originating from China and Japan.

To Buddhists, the swastika represents eternity.

So, to all my Jewish friends, feel free to visit Buddhist temples in Asia and do so with a feeling of genuine kindness.


In Longshan Buddhist Temple, Taipei.

Feel welcome to enter

No comments: